First off, Welcome to my little blog corner and thank you so much for agreeing to this interview!
Q.) First tell us where the idea came from to write this story. I believe you started out as a PA before becoming an author.
- Hello! I’m so glad to do this interview, thank you for having me! Yes, I was a PA before and I actually still am. My story idea came from a trip to Multnomah Falls that I took with my daughter. We got to chatting about what might be behind the large waterfall and how cool it would be walk through it. I took those few sentences and let my imagination run wild! A few other parts of the story were inspired by my childhood like Strix.
Q.) Was there any place that inspired the world of Arvata?
- I guess you could say that would be Multnomah Falls. It’s where the story was thought up from and the first part of the book is set near there.
Q.) Who inspired the relationship of Kali and Lucas? Kali and Jordan?
- The characters each had their own way of talking with me as I wrote. No one person inspired them from my real life. I wanted to make Kali someone who was strong and passionate. Lucas was always meant to be the ultimate soulmate. He was lonely for so long that it was easy for him to be all in when he met Kali. Jordan came in and helped me to provide the humor in the book. I wanted people to be able to laugh while they read as well and she was the perfect girl to make it happen!
Q.) So tell us about Strix! I absolutely adores that feathery little owl! Why an owl though versus another owl. (although I think an owl was perfect)
- Strix was brought into the story as an owl because when I was young we lived out in the country and I had large oak trees in our backyard. We had a white barn owl that lived out there and I went out every day after school and chatted with him and looked for any dropped feathers. When I wanted to Kali to have a magical companion, I couldn’t think of anyone better!
Q.) What can we expect in book 2? (as in a synopsis or small blurb)
- Book two is coming along nicely and I am super excited about this story. I have over-thought on title and similar things so I don’t have that finalized just yet, but what you can expect from the next installment is for the story to pick up a year after Kali arrived in Arvata. Lorelle finally comes back and explains just what she was sent to do by the Fates.
Somehow, someone has created half-Guardians and are going to try and use them against the people of Arvata.
Kali and her friends will travel around trying to find these half-Guardians before their maker gets a hold of them. Then they’ll be headed to the Otherworld to stop more from being created.
Once there, truths will be unfolded, powers will emerge and lives will be threatened. They’ll have to decide quickly if the risk is worth the reward.
Q.) What was the hardest part to write? The easiest?
- The hardest part for me was the detail. I had to remember to slow down and that the reader couldn’t see what I saw in my head unless I put it in words. After I was done writing, I went back and added five thousand words just in details to the story.
The easiest was thinking of the story. I didn’t often struggle to know what came next. The characters were very vocal!
Q.) Any advice for aspiring writers?
- I will give the same advice I was given. Write every day. Even if what you are writing never gets used, make it a habit. Don’t give up on your dreams and lastly, if you’re going to do it, go all in. Save the money to make sure your cover will draw readers in and pay for an editor. Self-editing never works, no matter how good you think you are. Pay attention to the small stuff, so you don’t have to do things twice later on down the road. Most importantly, HAVE FUN! If you’re not having fun, then what’s the point?
Q.) What’s the best way for your followers to connect with you?
- I am mostly on Facebook and I have a fan group called Heather Renee’s Guardians. That is where I interact most. When I remember, I’ll throw a random post or two on Instagram and twitter ***makes note to do this today*** and I love to have giveaways on my author page on Facebook under Heather Renee Author. If social media isn’t your thing, I am also happy to chat via email at HeatherReneeAuthor@yahoo.com.
Q.) Anything else you want to add?
- If you’re still reading at this part of interview, THANK YOU! I hope you love Kali and her friends as much I do. This is a fast past story and does NOT have a cliffhanger! It could be treated as a standalone, but I will definitely be continuing the story from Kali’s POV with the remaining two books I plan to write. I love hearing from readers so please reach out to me at any of the above platforms. Thank you, Reading Wolf! This was so much fun and I can’t wait to do it again for Book Two!
Again, thanks for this so much! It has been a pleasure to have you and to have read your book!
If you want to check out my review of book one you can here: